Mobile Application Development Life Cycle
The current landscape
With mobile app development having far reaching effects on the lives of smartphone users, more and more mobile app development companies are hopping on to the app development bandwagon. This growth is staggered across diverse service providers and hence there is no specific industry standards adopted by the fraternity.
However, based on past experience of developing apps across different mobile platforms have given rise to a standard procedure to be followed in mobile app development life cycle, that has to be followed to ensure successful submission to the app store and heightened chances of success amongst users who download these apps.
The mobile app development lifecycle spans the below key processes:
- This is the very first stage where ideas are discussed with the business managers of Client Company. Clients who need a specific functionality to be enabled in the app request the app development company about the details for the same.
- Primary and secondary research (with stakeholders, from technical documentation, with development team, and with client co-ordination team) leads to discovery of feasible alternatives that can best accomplish the app development goal.
- Out of the possible alternatives the best option is then selected with close collaboration from client and development team.
- They perform a proof of concept to find out if the technologies to be employed (tools, platform, programming language, databases and security measures) tie up well with the overall development objective and various constraints that are associated with it.
- Internal team will be formed based on the scope and complexity of the app development project.
- Functional specs and SOW is drafted and approved.
3.Programming and Testing stage
- Development team carries out actual execution of the app programming as laid out in the functional requirement document. This is followed by rigorous testing for all possible scenarios and technical flows.
- Beta testing is carried out to test real world scenarios and executing corrections against deviations reported in this milestone.
- Periodic milestone meetings with Client company representatives, development team project managers and any other third party agent (providing specialized competencies to help take the app development process ahead) should take place to ensure close collaboration at all times
- All schedule adherence and process compliance pointers should be tackled satisfactorily without which the process will not move ahead.
- Once the final approval on the built up application is received by the Client Company, the app is ready for release on the app store
- The transition begins when the app, and the documentation about its tech functionalities and related stipulation is passed to the marketing team. The team is responsible for effective advertising and the promotion of the app that ensures maximum coverage of the application amongst targeted users
- Monetization model has to be adhered to while submitting the app to the respective app store. In case of rejecting the development team is brought back into the picture to envisage corrections and re-submit app to the complete satisfaction of the app store provider company.
- Post release of the app, consumer sentiments is tracked vigorously
- Based on customer feedback, development team is roped on further refining of the app to be tweaked as per current trends and user choices
- Further updates and releases are monitored, streamlined and submitting to app store.