What is Grey Hat? 7 Solid Reasons to Avoid Grey Hat Method
Search Engine Optimization has always been a risky and tricky process. If not done well, SEO can sometimes go overboard. The Grey Hat Method is a manifestation of SEO stepping over limitations.
SEO have always been varied. Many follow the rules but many also do not do so. The popularity of the Grey Hat Method in some parts of the country is a manifestation of how SEO is manipulated to step beyond the line of morality just to get the desired outcome.
What is the Grey Hat Method? It is a method that does not belong to the either ends of the extreme. It belongs to the gray areas of online marketing. That means, those people using this method manipulate a website’s search engine rankings using unethical and improper means. People who do this are also usually called Grey Hat hackers.
Some SEO industry experts are still using the Grey Hat Method very carefully in order to not commit uni-deal results. Some say that Grey Hat can still be used in a proper way if you are 100% sure of what you are doing and if you are careful enough not to commit unnecessary tricks. Somehow, this does not guarantee that no other entities that will be affected by the application of the method.
To strengthen the call for not using Grey Hat Method, here are seven solid reasons to avoid this method:
- Cloaking is considered illegal by Google. Cloaking is one of the methods for Grey Hat. It is the practice of showing online users a different result than what is supposedly shown by the search engine. This is just like how Doorway pages trick users into visiting a site they didn’t intend to visit. Cloaking includes modifying Meta information and tampering with the website’s IP address.
- The Grey Hat Method uses old domains to send backlinks. Guess what? It is cheating. Old domains are domains that are no longer active or abandoned by owners. Since these domains do not maintain a specific identity and are not entitled to be trusted by users, the act of creation and sending of backlinks from there are not useful to online users. Thus, tricks online users to believe that those old domains are still relevant.
- You will receive a penalty if you purchase links. Purchasing of links is another technique of Grey Hat Method. Once you get caught buying links, all your investments will crumble down to zero. This practice will only leave you bankrupt.
- Grey Hat Method’s technique of buying followers tricks people into believing that this certain website has a hold over many a huge number of online users. There is never a positive in that.
- Duplicating a content is just like buying followers. Another Grey Hat Method that uses an application to create contents from a given content. This tricks online users to believe that the content is unique and relevant when in fact this is only a rephrased copy of the original content.
- It is a waste of money and other resources. It is not guaranteed that the techniques will work, especially today that many users are already aware of malicious tricks. More importantly, there is a great possibility that you are going to pay for a Google penalty in the future. If something like that happens, all of your efforts will be put to waste.
- It is immoral, improper, and unethical.
In the SEO world, business is always the priority. Now, that is what is wrong with this industry. Many industry experts stick to the Machiavellian way: The end justifies the means. No one progresses when they use that mindset. Say no to the Grey Hat Method!